Saturday, October 5, 2013

Comedic Challenges.


Okay. So it's been a while since I've written. Well, not really. I have been writing, just not here. And though I hate not updating this part of my online world, I haven't really had much of a choice. I recently started a job as a content manager for a YouTube channel called Pocket Box Office. With about a week before we launch, things have been pretty crazy. One of the prime show's we'll be floating is a show called PocketNews. It's a current affairs comedy show and boy is it a bitch to write!

Nothing is as rewarding and frustrating as writing current affairs comedy. One has to spend so much time going through the news and picking it apart that sometimes one can't help but feel helpless at the tsunami of information flooding one's mind. As wonderful as it feels when a joke works, the fact that it'll be meaningless in a week or so can sometimes be depressing. Though it must be said that as a comedian getting too attached to one's material is never a good thing, more often than not, I find myself trying to justify including a joke in one of my live shows far past it's prime. I think that's something I'll take a while to get used to.

Speaking of things I need to get used to, shooting a comedy show is absolutely unnerving! I've spent most of my 'career' as a live act. Whether it's theater, comedy or music, I've always been up in front of a live audience. Honestly, I can't stress enough how much I love performing live. The kind of energy one gets to channel when performing live is phenomenal, and when that crowd is replaced by a single lense staring at you, cold and dead, it suddenly becomes impossible to get timing and reactions right. For the first few episodes I took almost 3-4 hours to shoot an episode that, once edited, is about 4 or 5 minutes long. The process is frustrating and draining. But looking at the finished product is absolutely wonderful. I only hope people watching it online feel the same!

But anyway, it's past midnight and I need to sit and read some more news. More soon my 4 loyal readers!

-Mehta. 

No comments:

Post a Comment